Marijuana is a managed substance within the U.S. Federal regulation prohibits its use for any motive. Many states, nevertheless, enable medical use of marijuana to deal with ache, nausea and different signs.
By Mayo Clinic Workers
Medical marijuana — additionally referred to as medical hashish — is a time period for derivatives of the Hashish sativa plant which might be used to alleviate critical and continual signs.
Hashish sativa incorporates many lively compounds, however two are of curiosity for medical functions: THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). THC is the first ingredient in marijuana that makes folks “excessive.”
Is medical marijuana authorized within the U.S.?
U.S. federal regulation prohibits using entire plant Hashish sativa or its derivatives for any function. CBD derived from the hemp plant (< 0.3% THC) is authorized below federal regulation to devour.
Many states enable THC use for medical functions. Federal regulation regulating marijuana supersedes state legal guidelines. Due to this, folks should still be arrested and charged with possession in states the place marijuana for medical use is authorized.
When is medical marijuana acceptable?
Research report that medical hashish has potential profit for a number of situations. State legal guidelines range wherein situations qualify folks for remedy with medical marijuana. Should you’re contemplating marijuana for medical use, verify your state’s rules.
Relying on the state, you might qualify for remedy with medical marijuana for those who meet sure necessities and have a qualifying situation, resembling:
- Alzheimer’s illness
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Most cancers
- Crohn’s illness
- Epilepsy and seizures
- A number of sclerosis and muscle spasms
- Extreme and continual ache
- Extreme nausea
In case you are experiencing uncomfortable signs or unintended effects of medical remedy, particularly ache and nausea, discuss along with your physician about all of your choices earlier than making an attempt marijuana. Docs might contemplate medical marijuana as an possibility if different therapies have not helped.
Is medical marijuana protected?
Additional examine is required to reply this query, however potential unintended effects of medical marijuana might embrace:
- Elevated coronary heart fee
- Impaired focus and reminiscence
- Slower response occasions
- Damaging drug-to-drug interactions
- Elevated threat of coronary heart assault and stroke
- Elevated urge for food
- Potential for dependancy
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome
- Hallucinations or psychological sickness
- Withdrawal signs
Is medical marijuana accessible as a prescription drugs?
The U.S. Meals and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorised one cannabis-derived and three cannabis-related medicine: dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros), nabilone (Cesamet) and cannabidiol (Epidiolex).
Dronabinol and nabilone might be prescribed for the remedy of nausea and vomiting attributable to chemotherapy and for the remedy of anorexia related to weight reduction in folks with AIDS. Cannabidiol might be prescribed for remedy of extreme types of childhood epilepsy.
What you possibly can anticipate
Medical marijuana is available in quite a lot of varieties, together with:
- Oil for vaporizing
- Topical purposes
- Oral resolution
- Dried leaves and buds
How and the place you buy these substances legally varies among the many states that enable medical use of marijuana. After getting the product, you administer it your self. How usually you utilize it is determined by its type and your signs.
Your symptom reduction and unintended effects additionally will range based mostly upon which sort you might be utilizing. The quickest results happen with inhalation of the vaporized type. The slowest onset happens with the capsule type.
Some medical marijuana is formulated to supply symptom reduction with out the intoxicating, mood-altering results related to leisure use of marijuana.
Certification and use on Mayo Clinic campuses
Arizona, Florida and Minnesota have adopted some type of the federal Proper to Attempt Act. This regulation permits entry to investigational therapies, together with probably marijuana, for folks with life-threatening situations who’ve exhausted authorised remedy choices. The Proper to Attempt Act usually doesn’t restrict in-state use to in-state residents solely. Statements beneath don’t apply to Proper to Attempt conditions.
In Arizona, certifications for medical hashish could also be issued by an allopathic, osteopathic, homeopathic or naturopathic doctor who has a sound Arizona license. Mayo Clinic campuses in Arizona don’t dispense medical marijuana, certify folks for utilizing it, or enable its use on campus or within the hospital.
Florida regulation permits certified physicians to order medical hashish or low-THC hashish for sufferers identified with sure situations. Mayo Clinic campuses in Florida don’t dispense medical marijuana and don’t enable its use on campus or within the hospital.
In Minnesota, a doctor, doctor assistant or superior apply registered nurse certify qualifying medical situations. Minnesota residents with qualifying situations have to register with the Minnesota Division of Well being.
Mayo Clinic practices in Minnesota might certify state residents with qualifying situations within the Minnesota medical hashish program. Not all Mayo Clinic well being care suppliers can be registered for the certification course of in Minnesota.
Minnesota residents with a provide of medical hashish from the Minnesota Medical Hashish program might proceed use throughout their Mayo Clinic go to or hospital admission.
- Arizona Division of Well being Companies: Medical marijuana
- Florida Well being: Workplace of Medical Marijuana Use
- Minnesota Division of Well being: Medical hashish
- Nationwide Convention of State Legislatures: State medical marijuana legal guidelines
Nov. 27, 2019
- Briscoe J, et al. Prime ten suggestions palliative care clinicians ought to learn about medical hashish. Journal of Palliative Medication. 2019; doi: 10.1089/jpm.2018.0641.
- Volkow ND, et al. Hostile well being results of marijuana use. New England Journal of Medication. 2014;370:2219.
- Wolff V, et al. Hashish-related stroke: Fantasy or actuality? Stroke. 2013;43:558.
- DrugFacts: Is marijuana drugs? Nationwide Institute on Drug Abuse. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana-medicine. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
- Koppel BS, et al. Systematic assessment: Efficacy and security of the therapeutic use of medical marijuana in chosen neurologic problems. Report of the Guideline Growth Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology. 2014;82:1556.
- Does marijuana assist deal with glaucoma? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/medical-marijuana-glaucoma-treament. Accessed Nov. 7, 2019.
- Bostwick JM. The usage of hashish for administration of continual ache. Normal Hospital Psychiatry. 2014;36:2.
- Bostwick JM. Blurred boundaries: The therapeutics and politics of medical marijuana. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:172.
- Drug monograph: Marijuana, medical. Gold Customary. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 7, 2019.
- Medical hashish. Minnesota Division of Well being. https://www.well being.state.mn.us/folks/hashish/sufferers/index.html. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
- State medical marijuana legal guidelines. Nationwide Convention of State Legislatures. http://www.ncsl.org/analysis/well being/state-medical-marijuana-laws.aspx. Accessed Nov. 7, 2019.
- AskMayoExpert. Medical hashish. Mayo Clinic; 2019.
- Medical marijuana. Arizona Division of Well being and Human Companies. https://www.azdhs.gov/licensing/medical-marijuana/index.php#faqs-patients. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
- Workplace of Medical Marijuana Use. Florida Division of Well being. https://knowthefactsmmj.com. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
- Nationwide Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medication. 2017. The well being results of hashish and cannabinoids: The present state of proof and suggestions for analysis. The Nationwide Academies Press. 2017; doi:10.17226/24625.
- Hashish and cannabinoids. Nationwide Most cancers Institute. https://www.most cancers.gov/about-cancer/remedy/cam/hp/cannabis-pdq. Accessed Nov. 7, 2019.
- FDA regulation of hashish and cannabis-derived merchandise, together with cannabidiol (CBD). U.S. Meals and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-regulation-cannabis-and-cannabis-derived-products-including-cannabidiol-cbd. Accessed Nov. 7, 2019.
- Marinol (prescribing info). AbbiVie Inc.; 2017. http://rxabbvie.com/pdf/marinol_PI.pdf. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
- Syndros (prescribing info). Insys Therapeutics, Inc.; 2018. http://syndros.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/SYNDROS-label.pdf. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
- Cesamet (prescribing info). Meda Prescribed drugs; 2015. https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=bb582d64-0f51-11df-8a39-0800200c9a66. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
- Whiting PF, et al. Cannabinoids for medical use: A scientific assessment and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2015;313:2456.
- Proper to Attempt. U.S. Meals and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/sufferers/learn-about-expanded-access-and-other-treatment-options/right-try. Accessed Nov. 7, 2019.
- Federal Proper to Attempt: Questions and solutions. https://righttotry.org/rtt-faq/. Accessed Nov. 7, 2019.
- Ebbert JO, et al. Medical hashish. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2018; doi:10.1016/j.mayocp.2018.09.005.
- Epidiolex (prescribing info). Greenwich Biosciences, 2018. https://www.epidiolex.com/websites/default/recordsdata/EPIDIOLEX_Full_Prescribing_Information.pdf. Accessed Nov. 11, 2019.
See extra In-depth